Region: The Netherlands
Company size: 4,500 employees
Enexis – Security for smart meters in a fast-changing energy marketplace
The drive to introduce smart meters into the Dutch energy market has accelerated, thanks to the initiative shown by Enexis and a successful data encryption solution delivered by Atos
The drive to introduce smart meters into the Dutch energy market has accelerated, thanks to the initiative shown by Enexis and a successful data encryption solution delivered by Atos.
Enexis is one of the leading players in the Netherlands energy market. Of the 7 million households in the country 2.7 million take their power from Enexis, which is both committed to the deployment of smart meters and has the scale and influence to make a real difference to the market.
Worldline’s combined hardware and software approach was chosen as the basis for the Enexis smart meter data security solution, now known as Cryptoserver, and work began on developing and delivering the solution in early 2012.
The successful development and implementation of Cryptoserver has demonstrated that secure and effective use of smart meters on a very large scale is a reality. Atos and Worldline have made a vital contribution to our roll-out of smart meters and we are certain that the cryptoserver solution can and will be used much more widely in the future.
- Energy marketplace restructured in recent years.
- Flexible market that is emerging.
- Moving from regionally based to an efficient and modern delivery of gas and electricity system.
- Power usage track in real time and with complete accuracy.
- It is not necessary for company personnel to enter houses to read meters.
- Security systems that are proven and certified by third parties.
- Real reduction in energy usage, which is good for society, and a reduction in costs, which is good news for families.
- Smart meters mean that individual citizens and families can track their power usage in real time and with complete accuracy.
- Families can offset their investment in renewable energy by selling excess power back to the grid, at least on occasion.
Look Out Market Views
Discover more about how Atos sees the key characteristics of digital transformation in Oil and Gas. The technology radar gives clear and valuable pointers to timing and maturity.
Discover areas in which digital transformation promises the greatest short and midterm benefit for oil and gas companies and at how best to optimize existing IT management practices to help pay for it.