Today’s network operators face the challenge of having heterogeneous networks, consisting of various technological domains from different vendors. Each type of network element provides its specific network services with different provisioning interface techniques, like MML/Telnet/SSH or XML/SOAP variations.
Central drivers for customer satisfaction are innovative and attracting services with high customer value, often available in next generation networks (NGN) only. These result in upgrade or – partial – replacement of existing network infrastructure. Quite often, the replacement solution comes with incompatible provisioning interfaces.
To keep instant and reliable activation of ordered services, a seamless integration of NGN infrastructure into existing BSS landscape is mandatory.
This integration is either by adapting the existing BSS to the new NGN interfaces – or by adding a mediation device that provides emulated “old-style” interfaces to the existing BSS systems to avoid expensive cost of change in BSS or in multiple BSS systems.
Mediation and Provisioning by Siemens Convergence Creators
PSA Lite supports this second approach and has its strength in mediation between different provisioning interfaces. It is a lightweight provisioning and service activation solution with famous capabilities on provisioning interface mediation and emulation allowing exchange of network elements of different vendors easily without affecting the Business Support System (BSS, i.e. provisioning and CRM systems for example) layer systems by staying with the “old” vendor’s provisioning interfaces (vendor swap use case). For example, it can mediate the vendor A HSS/HLR’s provisioning interface to the vendor B CNTDB allowing provisioning of the vendor B HLR and HSS using the vendor A interface. This avoids cost of changing the BSS to the new vendor’s interface technology.
PSA Lite can add missing network element (NE) features like profile/template based provisioning or multi tenancy support (e.g. “virtual HLR/HSS”). It can be used to hide NE interface changes from BSS layer (due to NE version change or complete NE exchange).
PSA Lite – who needs it mainly
- Network element vendors (and manufactures) like Nokia, Ericsson, Huawei, Affirmed who want to introduce their elements and subscriber databases by swapping competitor vendor ones.
- Providers who use/operate network equipment of different vendors (use it as a provisioning gateway providing 1 interface only to provision different vendor’s equipment, databases).
Legacy Provisioning System(s)
Use cases for PSA Lite include legacy HLR replacement mediation, VoLTE/VoWiFi/IMS provisioning and adding a LDAP interface to One-AAA
Typical Use Cases
- Swap a network element or network part by changing to new vendor (e.g. exchange vendor A’s HSS with vendor B’s HSS keeping vendor A’s provisioning interface to BSS to avoid costly changes in BSS).
- Use a provisioning gateway allowing a single provisioning interface to different vendor’s network elements avoiding to change/extend BSS layer at vendor swap.
- Network element upgrade with incompatible provisioning interface (e.g. upgrade/migrate from vendor A’s HLR providing a MML via Telnet interface to its new technology HLR which provides a new technology XML via SOAP based interface but stay with the (old) MML interface to BSS to avoid changes in BSS).
- Merger of telecom operators results in merging core networks but keep interfaces to BSS unchanged.
- Extend network element functionality (e.g. by adding profiles/template based provisioning support or by adding multi tenancy features).
- Provide single provisioning interface for provisioning of parts of the network (e.g. workflows for IP Multimedia Subsystem NE provisioning).
- Provide special routing functionality of provisioning requests.
Benefits for operators and network element vendors
Smooth introduction of next generation or any new network infrastructure
- Keep existing BSS infrastructure untouched.
- Reuse existing application logic during the migration phase for both classical and next generation network elements.
- Allow operators with monolithic “untouchable” legacy BSS systems migrate to NGN
- Reduce overall CAPEX and optimize for replacement of classical network elements
Keep complexity low – to accelerate replacement and migration
- Reuse of existing business processes ensures fast enabling of operations staff.
- Reduce complexity in business processes by service bundling – lower complexity leads to optimized time for operation leads to lower OPEX.
Mature solution – with short project realization timeframe
- Perfect scaling to customer’s performance and availability demands. It supports various configurations, reaching from small single server installations, up to high performance and high availability cluster solutions.
- High speed provisioning mediation provides best performance respectively does not affect provisioning performance at all.
- PSA Lite Service Library provides service definitions for various network domains and technologies, as well as network infrastructure from different vendors.
- PSA Lite Integration Suite with PSA Service Designer guides developers and system operators in introduction of new services.
OAM integration into state of the art products
- Providing PSA Lite fault and performance management functionality
- SNMP based integration into any OSS
Cloud ready solution
- PSA Lite is available on OpenStack
- Full lifecycle management based on HEAT templates