Building a robust IT platform based on software-defined data center
Atos provides Cologne’s professional fire brigade with a uniform, organization-wide uniform IT platform that delivers operational safety.
In order to support the activities of the Cologne professional fire brigade’s integrated control center in the best possible way, various IT systems are required. These include the watch alarm (WAL), the communication system (KMS) and the operations control system (ELS). In addition to the IT systems, various other IT systems relevant to the project must also be operated.
In addition to high availability, the IT platform must meet the technical requirements of all areas, and they must be provided on a platform in a user-friendly manner.
The detailed requirements include:
- Ensuring a highly available and future-oriented overall solution
- Provision of the process environments for the individual IT areas
- Operation of the system in an overall environment that meets Germany’s critical infrastructure protection standards (KRITIS)
- Prompt implementation of customer-specific requirements
- BSI-compliant design and provision
Executing the project
Atos provided comprehensive services for the fire service. The focus is on the design, construction and commissioning of the IT platform, as well as the subsequent support phase. The features of the new platform include:
- Virtualized, multi-client capable server, storage and network infrastructure (SDDC concept)
- Connection of external locations
- Client equipment (workplace)
- BSI-compliant implementation
- Training and consulting the fire brigade’s operating personnel
Concept development (overall system, operation, data backup, monitoring, remote maintenance)
Construction, installation and commissioning of the IT platform
IT platform support and operation for 60 months, as well as future adjustments and extensions
The services provided by Atos provide the professional fire brigade with a uniform, organization-wide IT platform for the provision of other IT services.
- Efficient, competent provision of resources
- High data and service availability
- High safety through shielding of the system
- High investment security through the use of an innovative software-defined data center (SDDC) architecture with high scalability and flexibility
Atos was chosen for this project based on many years of expertise in KRITIS projects — such as control centers for fire brigades, police and rescue services — and knowledge of the customer’s business processes. In addition, Atos has proven experience with various manufacturers and application suppliers and a proven track record as an IT platform supplier and system integrator for control and positioning systems and GIS systems.
This expertise in the customer environment enabled Atos to convincingly transfer its expertise in state-of-the-art, high availability platforms to the customer’s requirements, thereby positioning itself as a competent IT partner for the fire service.