BullSequana X800: at the confluence of HPC and Big Data
Featuring an architecture that supports an impressive number of processing cores and an exceptional memory capacity, the BullSequana X800 servers are engineered for high performance and in-memory computing. They are ideally suited to support massive in-memory databases, pre-processing, post-processing, and visualization. They are among the most scalable and modular ultra-high memory servers on the market, starting with 2 CPUs and 24 memory DIMMs, and going up to 32 CPUs with 384 memory DIMMs in 16 interconnected boxes – with a linear performance scaling.
A powerful and modular range
The BullSequana X800 series consists of five complementary models, assembling 1 to 16 2-socket compute boxes thanks to two types of interconnects:
- A glueless interconnect is used for 1, 2 or 4 compute boxes, allowing to form a glue-less configuration with up to 8 sockets.
- For larger configurations, a UNC (UPI Node Controller) stacks 8 to 16 boxes.
This distinctive Atos technology makes it possible to form 16- or 32-socket servers.
A Connecting Box assembles compute boxes with no apparent cabling, and makes it possible to easily add compute and memory resources. This helps adjust memory and compute resources to application needs, and facilitates the scaling of Big Data applications. For more agility in configuring, BullSequana X800 servers feature hot plug I/O blades, disks, fans and PSUs.
Key innovative components
Each compute box is a 2U 2-socket rack server and contains:
- up to 24 memory DIMMs, i.e. a total of up to 3 TB per compute module when using 128GB DIMMs – and ready for higher capacities with future memory technology;
- hot plug I/O blades that offer up to 5x PCIe Gen3 slots, with capability for a disk controller in charge of the front-end disks;
- a number of options to customize the system to match application requirements: internal disks, NVMe drives or GPUs.
The performance of leading-edge Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors
The BullSequana X800 embarks Intel® Xeon® processors Scalable family, with a large choice of models for the best fit with your applications in terms of:
- number of cores, or
- power consumption.
Designed for operational efficiency and maintainability
The BullSequana X800 focuses on serviceability and operational efficiency. It has all required features for reliability, availability and quality of service:
- redundancy of critical components;
- hot-pluggable critical components – the innovative blade form-factor of I/O modules enables hot-plugging;
- patented mechanics for easy replacement of components: the disks, fans and PSUs can be extracted without rack decabling and without stopping running applications;
- server partitioning;
- internal regulation and alert systems;
- dedicated maintenance processor;
- power-conscious design: with the Gen2 Active/Passive Power supply, energy consumption is reduced by 40%.