Industry: Financial Services
Region: United Kingdom
Company size: 187 employees
“Our outsourcing model has transformed our business into a modern and relevant financial services provider backed up by an operating model that is efficient and robust. The scale and complexity of the change achieved has been extensive yet we have delivered this transformation over the years through an effective partnership that seeks to innovate while maintaining service excellence.”
Assistant Director Partnership and Operations, NS&I
Atos & NS&I pioneering business transformation
Atos Business Process Services grows our clients’ businesses whilst helping them transform into more digital organisations, equipped to continually meet the disruptive impact of rapid technology innovation and changing consumer expectations.
NS&I is both a government department and an Executive Agency of the Chancellor of the Exchequer, and has been a critical part in raising cost effective financing for the UK government for 150 years. 25 million UK citizens have invested £167 billion in savings products with NS&I.
- Business Reinvention; NS&I has the dual challenge of a hugely competitive market place attracting billions of investment in R&D and start-ups, whilst government austerity-driven budget cuts were targeted at 25%-40%.
- Customer Experience; NS&I was a largely paper-based, process-driven organisation
- Operational Excellence; Legacy IT systems, intertwined over many years of development, supporting complex, manual and often paper-based processes created an in excess operational cost
- Trust and Compliance; As more businesses exploit the opportunities of digital technology, the risks of cybercrime and data loss become critical to an organisations reputation and profitability.
- Business Reinvention; Removing needless complexity and introducing new standardised and repeatable processes, reducing costs, and increasing efficiency and speed to market
- Customer Experience; Atos deployed a major culture change programme, introducing new capabilities to capture customer insight and understanding, in an agile way and iterating based on customer feedback
- Operational Excellence; Following the Government’s Spending Review in 2010, NS&I direct+ was announced as the new NS&I business strategy. This aimed to balance the needs to customers, taxpayers, and the stability of the wider financial services sector
- Trust and Compliance; Post the financial crisis of 2008, the amount of regulation has increased exponentially and compliance and oversight are now a major operational cost for all financial institutions.
- Business Reinvention; Growth has been achieved both through making NS&I ‘easy to do business with’ for its customer base and from massive product launches, such as the 65+ Guaranteed Growth Bonds, with over £13 billion received during a four-month period
- Customer Experience; NS&I now has over 250,000 customers subscribed to its new Premium Bond mobile app, shifted 92% of sales to digital channels and won Best Customer Service in Banking and Finance in the Top Performers 2019
- Operational Excellence; NS&I has transformed their efficiency ratio from over 30 basis points (£3,000 cost to manage £1m of customer funds) to just 7.8 basis points, over 300% productivity improvement. Operational headcount has reduced from 4,200 to just over 1,600
- Trust and Compliance; Atos has upgraded NS&I’s entire core banking platform and supporting IT infrastructure supporting all 25 million NS&I customers, to mitigate emerging vulnerabilities as systems become end-of-life and security threats become more sophisticated.
10 steps to transformational change in the public sector.
Putting customers at the heart of your business.
Taking a customer centric approach to BPS helps life and pensions companies to thrive.
Vice President Atos Business Transformation Services