“Our close cooperation with Atos and a culture of mutual trust continue to make this partnership a success.”
Head of Infrastructure, Migros Group IT
Switzerland’s biggest retailer Migros has been facing new competitive pressures due to a rapidly changing retail market.
Today’s retail customers have more choice than ever before – and leading retailers must adapt to keep pace. With changing customer expectations and competition over national borders, Migros has wanted to significantly reduce IT costs while ensuring its IT function is fit for the future.
IT plays a crucial role in Migros’ business, with data and digital technologies at stores and in the back office helping to drive customer engagement and loyalty while achieving lean operations.
Recognizing the need for more agility and flexibility, together with the challenge to innovate and reduce time-to-market, Migros wanted a strategic partner to guide them on the journey to digital. The first step has been to consolidate, optimize and modernize their Datacenter Platform services, including storage, compute, database and SAP Basis. The challenge for Migros Group IT is to transform into a service orchestrator for business customers across the group using SIAM principles to source from multiple providers.
The company chose Atos based on its global footprint, leadership in digital transformation and the close cultural fit between the two organizations.
Working in partnership, Migros Group IT and Atos have designed and deliver robust, transparent, simplified services and interfaces as an essential step in their digital transformation.
- Maintaining a strong adherence to ITIL standard processes and tooling, Atos rapidly injected skills and capabilities where needed.
- Atos’ specially trained core team spent time onsite in Zurich and implemented robust knowledge management to ensure a smooth transition.
- Operations were provided with zero disruption and within three months, trust had been established with new colleagues.
- Close collaboration, expert change management and a flexible approach were key success factors.
Now, our Migros’ Group IT works closely with Atos’ team and other partner organizations to meet the current and future needs of business customers across their Group.
Migros Datacenter Platform IT service is optimized and future-proofed for the fast-changing highly competitive retail market.
Atos has ensured full delivery of the benefits set out in the business case:
- Highly standardized delivery processes and tools provide Migros with transparent service levels.
- New technologies and solutions accelerate implementation cycles, minimize risk and optimize cost-efficiencies. Today Atos is managing a complex environment with over 3,000 servers and more than 350 SAP instances.
- Today Migros has direct access to a world-class partner ecosystem, including Atos’ strategic partnerships with global players such as Google, Microsoft, ServiceNow and Dell EMC, to introduce market-leading solutions.
Now Migros is working closely with Atos and other partners, to meet current and future needs of business customers across the company.
As the world continues to cope with the ongoing pandemic and address widespread health concerns, many industries have been feeling the heat. These unprecedented times have brought many unique challenges for individuals and institutions alike.
As we outlined in our first post in this series, speed and agility are they keys to overcoming the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic in the short term. Retailers that can adapt quickly will avoid more serious long-term consequences, yet the solution for this situation is not a patchwork of quick fixes.
In essence, there are three key things retailers need to do to survive and thrive: know in detail what their customers want; deliver relevant products and interactions; and be able to scale and evolve. Yet while that may sound relatively simple, it’s challenging to achieve.
Atos Business Accelerators
Global Head of Consulting and Marketing – Retail, Transport and Logistics
Client Executive Partner
Follow or contact Pascal: