“ Atos is fully committed to tackling the climate change emergency and is advancing rapidly towards its long-term targets for carbon reduction.”
Head of Manufacturing and Chief Operating Officer, Atos
As an expanding company with a growing physical impact, Atos is working hard to continuously reduce its environmental footprint. The sharp rise in the energy efficiency of its datacenters, its increasing use of decarbonized electricity and its global offsetting program demonstrate the ongoing action plans and progress. Its environmental program and climate leadership have been recognized year after year by international organizations such as the CDP, DJSI.
Rising to the climate change
The Atos environmental program addresses 4 challenges
Challenge 1: Reduce global emissions
- Reduce gradually the carbon intensity of the Group’s activities
- Offset 100% of the residual datacenters, offices and business travel CO2 emissions through certified carbon offsetting projects focusing on wind farm projects in India and preservation/reforestation projects in Brazil and in Ethiopia
reduction in carbon intensity by revenue from 2016-2019
of carbon emissions
from its datacenters, offices and
travel are offset in 2019
Challenge 2: Shift to low carbon and renewable sources
- Optimize energy consumption in its offices and datacenters
- Tends to consume 100% of low-carbon and renewable energy in all its activities worldwide
- Monitor its main office sites’ and strategic datacenters’ through the Environmental Management System / ISO 14001 certification
of main sites certified for ISO 14001 in 2019
energy used by Atos’s core datacenters from decarbonized sources in 2019
Challenge 3: Favor new ways of working & travel
- Favor new ways of working and develop remote working tools
- Limit travel impact by encouraging eco-friendly transportation means
- Minimize Atos fleet impact
Challenge 4: Deliver sustainable solutions and technologies
- Deliver solutions that are eco-designed and energy-efficient
- Help its clients to address their own environmental challenges
Overall Power Usage Effectiveness (PUE) of core datacenters in 2019
supercomputers in the top 100 of the Green 500 List (November 2019) which grades the most energy-efficient supercomputers in the world
Atos has partnered with Greenspector, a company that specializes in measuring the energy consumption of apps and websites, to develop eco-design solutions in mobile, Web and IoT software that perform applications and reduce energy consumption
Climate change commitments
Atos is supporting the world effort to keep the global rise in temperature under 2°C in this century. Atos has committed to four climate change initiatives. The Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) formally approved Atos’ carbon emission targets.
Adopt a science based emissions reduction target
Atos has committed to adopt a science based emissions reduction target, supporting the world effort to limit the rise of climate change to 2°C. The Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) has approved Atos’ targets here disclosed.
Put a price on carbon
Atos has committed to put a price on carbon to advocate the importance of carbon in the performance managerment and to materially affect investment decisions to drive down greenhouse gas emissions.
Responsible corporate engagement in climate policy
Atos has committed to engage more actively with stakeholders to contribute effectively to building a low-carbon and climate resilient economy.
Report climate change information in its mainstream reports as a fiduciary duty
Atos has committed to publicly disclose climate change information in its mainstream reports.
Want to learn more
- Environmental Policy : Atos’ senior management approved a Global Environmental Policy which sets out the path for minimizing our environmental footprint. The policy applies to all divisions, support functions and all Global Business Units.
- Position paper : Contributing to a more sustainable society by promoting digital solutions that reduce the impact on the environment.
- Carbon offsetting factsheet : To offset its CO2 emissions of all its activities, Atos invests in global offsetting program to both wind farm projects and reforestation in partnership with EcoAct.
- 2019 reports : Universal Registration Document & Integrated Report