Health Support Services (HSS), the ICT service provider for the Western Australian public health system, partners with Atos to support the ongoing provision of contemporary infrastructure to host more than 1,000 clinical and corporate applications.
- Improved infrastructure resilience and service availability.
- Improved compliance with security policies and practices, better securing sensitive patient data.
- Greater levels of customer satisfaction with infrastructure services.
- Higher levels of staff engagement, with HSS teams working with a contemporary infrastructure platform that stays current due to continual re-investment and refresh by Atos.
- Data centre energy consumption reductions of 19%.
With a state spanning over 2.5 million square kilometers, Western Australia is the largest area in the world covered by a single health authority.
The public health system needed to move data and over 1,000 systems to a contemporary, scalable technology platform to ensure that more than 500 healthcare sites and services across WA Health continue to receive a health care standard that is among the highest in the world.
Atos and HSS have been collaborating closely since 2019 to transition WA Health’s ICT systems to contemporary infrastructure. The tailored solution included private cloud, managed public cloud, hybrid cloud orchestration, co-location and managed services for 2,000+ servers, hosting over 1,000 applications – critical to patient care and hospital management – and a fully managed public cloud services utilizing Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Microsoft Azure.
This digital transformation provides the WA health system with new agility that enhances operational processes and reduces cost while improving the patient experience. The new platform enables the delivery of new contemporary applications, critical in maintaining ongoing high levels of patient care. The new standardized solution provided by Atos enables WA Health to focus on the health needs of its community.
WA Health gained the ability to provide services with a minimum amount of process overhead in terms of time and cost: the implementation of the Cloud platform leverages new technology and innovation without undertaking large-scale upgrades to legacy infrastructure platforms.
Furthermore, Atos’s ‘pay as you go’ consumption model has been critical to enable WA Health to quickly scale its infrastructure in response to changing demand, which was instrumental in the state’s successful response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
This successful partnership has paved the way for further ICT improvements, including:
- the new medical imaging system for the WA public health system.
- management of critical clinical and corporate applications, including our patient administration system, on cloud infrastructure.
- migration of WA health system’s entire email platform and other collaboration tools, such as Microsoft Teams, to the Atos managed cloud.
Working together, Atos and HSS are delivering complex and large-scale IT programs and operations.
This continued collaboration enables WA Health to harness Atos’s industry leading solutions, which help support WA Health in delivering the highest level of healthcare to the Western Australian community.
Businesses of all shapes and sizes have embraced the hybrid cloud model for its incredible flexibility, scalability and cost efficiency — but what about its sustainability?