Low-code Speed machine to application development
by Tess Kurian, Purshottam Purswani
As per our research, Low-Code solutions have the potential to drive innovation, digitize & automate business processes at speed and scale, acting as a “game-changer” in the IT and business alignment dilemma. We deployed a low code platform to a large customer organization to build various business applications and extended it further with citizen development. The idea was to unlock the business value of the low-code approach while bridging the gap between business and IT in a sustainable & secure way. Below are the highlights of our experiences when delivering this for the customer.
Acceleration in development
- Speed and Agility – One of the fastest projects delivered in the Customer organization. The team could develop the applications in 4-6 weeks from inception to delivery.
- Lean Application Management – The application management team was lean, with less FTE needed to maintain the application.
- Single platform for all code and release management – Reusability of code across different business verticals, thereby reducing cost.
- Ready integration adapters, make it easy and reduce the complications in integrating the 3rd party systems.
- Road toward Citizen Development – The platform is easy to learn. Initial online training is sufficient to learn how to build a basic web and mobile application. Business owners, testers, and non-IT members quickly adapt to low code.
- Low code platform upgrades – It requires careful planning and effort.
- Licensing of the platform – The platform licensing needs an assessment before getting into the journey to avoid surprises at the last moment.
Few things to watch out
- Setup of the best low code guidelines – Fast-paced development from non-IT or graduate developers not exposed to best coding practice also leads to performance degradation in the applications. For instance, screen rendering takes a long time with the amount of logic and data added to the initialization process.
- Low-code technical debt – The development process needs to be institutionalized to check the architecture and security best practices continuously.
Few of these challenges could be addressed by having a machine developer who continuously guides the citizen developer to highlight deviations, provide ready templates, help in developer boilerplate code for the integration. With a natural language conversational AI, it will help further in productivity and help in driving standardization.
Low Code is a good win for the business and technical team. It’s easy to follow, delivers results, and is cost-effective. Moreover, with the advances in artificial intelligence – GPT3, we see that the approach is going toward no code with the bots generating the code based on the plain English sentences using Natural Language Processing.