The Patient Journey: How Healthcare is Revolutionizing in the Digital Age
The explosion of DNA analysis in medicine, supported by new technologies, is enabling a new healthcare model aimed at maintaining people’s fitness and wellbeing.
Here I explore the impact of this on a particular individual – Alison - in our infographic below. Alison is a 30-year old British citizen concerned she may have hereditary heart problems, following her father’s death from a heart attack last year.
- Step 1: Alison books an appointment online to see Dr. Smith.
- Step 2: The doctor performs a whole genome sequence analysis. High Performance Computing and Big Data analytics are required to process the data and extract information – two important steps in the diagnostic testing.
- Step 3: The sequence analysis finds three gene mutations related to heart disease and two gene mutations related to a hereditary condition causing Alison to have excess levels of cholesterol.
- Step 4: Dr. Smith prescribes Alison a medication that has been tested in 100,000 patients with an identical genomic profile with good results.
- Step 5: The doctor also gives Alison a smart T-shirt to wear that monitors her heart rate in real-time.
- Step 6: The smart T-shirt is connected to a mobile app that sends the data to a trained system in the platform that is able to predict any abnormalities.
- Step 7: Dr. Smith injects nanosensors into Alison’s bloodstream to monitor her cholesterol levels, data which is linked to Alison’s smartphone and Electronic Medical Record.
- Step 8: Nanoactuators release an anti-cholesterol drug into Alison’s bloodstream when her levels exceed the normal threshold.
- Step 9: Dr. Smith prescribes an aortic valve replacement, which is to be 3D printed based on images taken from Alison’s CT scan.
- Step 10: A US-based surgeon supports Dr. Smith, carrying out a robotics-assisted surgery with augmented reality.
- Step 11: Dr. Smith recommends that Alison plays a virtual video game to help her manage her pain post-surgery.
Read Health experts' insights in Atos Digital Vision Paper on Health to learn more from on the real revolution in Healthcare.