Mobile World Congress 2019
Fabio De Pasquale
UX Consultant, Worldline
Posted on: March 4, 2019 by Fabio De Pasquale
Mobile World Congress 2019 – Barcelona
As every yearin the last week of February in Barcelona, Mobile World Congress (MWC) took place, and this year was particularly full of technological innovations that have been spearheaded by and the Internet of Things (IoT), a technology that in addition to mobiles, includes wearables with innovative features in terms of design and materials, robots and drones, domestic appliances, and connected cars with autonomy.
After many announcements during past MWC events, it can be said that the 5G has finally taken off commercially, both in networks and hardware components, as well as in technologies and cloud platforms, devices and applications in different areas and has been a constant in all stands.
New business models linked to 5G and IoT applications have been seen in sectors such as agriculture, security, health, city management and clearly the interaction between people.
Artificial intelligence and data analytics have also been very present as a transversal technology with a large number of products and services.
Artificial intelligence has caused the transformation of business models, because unlike most of the technologies that make their exordium in the market, the costs of the AI are much lower than expected, and also interacting with different technologies, its objective is to change our lives at zero cost.
It should be added that it involves different sectors such as manufacturers, telecommunications companies and service providers and that is why it has been present in more than 60% of the stands.
Virtual Reality and Digital Twin
Virtual reality was also present in this edition of the MWC, in many cases associated with video games, cultural activities and recreation, e-learning and Digital Twin technology, focused on virtual replicas of objects or processes that simulate the behavior of their real counterparts.
In relation to Digital Twin technology, we have seen commercial applications aimed at simulating, monitoring and acting remotely, and being ambitious, see the first tools for developers appear and, in addition, many of the Digital Twin applications include virtual reality.
Regarding robots, significant advances have been shown in intelligence, autonomy, co-operation in swarms of robots and more natural and advanced interfaces in the interaction with people.
New sensors have also been seen, increasingly smaller, embedded in materials of different types and with durable, robust and sustainable energy charging systems.
This year a great surprise were drones, drones of all kinds were seen, for the transport of people (Taxidrone), for home delivery and for rescue.
However, the great challenge still remains the autonomy of these new remote-controlled vehicles.
Atos and Worldline at MWC19
Also this year the participation of Atos and Worldline at the MWC was very important because there were numerous solutions presented.
Like many other partners and competitors, we have also presented different solutions based on Blockchain.
- Bloomen, a complete platform to create, manage and share a unique version of the rights associated to a digital asset (songs, photos, video streaming and potentially others).
- ORIGIN, first traceability label based on Blockchain, a running platform ensuring traceability for international/local supply chains from the origin (i.e. field/sea) to the consumer and adaptable to any vertical (i.e. to different supply chain workflows), presented with Bureau Veritas (commercial partner).
- ID Blockchain, provides a framework for Self-sovereign Digital identity management across organizations
IoT and Connected People
- Smart City Hospitality, a very good solution the allows to ctizens and tourists to score the sustainability level of the area where they are located through different indicators (noise, pollution, population’s density).
- Wearlumb, a smart garment that brings a non-invasive approach for lumbar risk evaluation that can be performed in real time and in actual work environments during job activities.
Consent management by SMS, a web solution that allows to our customers design and create Landing Pages in order to capture the end users consent for the processing of personal data. Additionally, it allows incorporating access to the landing page created using SMS technology.