Maintain control of the workplace by letting go
Workplaces are changing, as is the workforce.
Companies now need to answer the difficult question of how to accommodate various workstyles while managing costs and keeping enough control to properly secure systems and data.
Many organizations have adopted the term “digital workplace” but there is still some confusion about what this means, and how to balance the flexibility that comes with giving users choice, versus the need to carefully regulate technology to prevent security breaches and data loss. In the name of security, many move to standardize and optimize their technology. This gives them a cost benefit, but obscures the benefits of improving the end-user experience.
It is vital that organizations begin to take user experience into account. A people-first approach drives operational efficiency and productivity. Options such as enabling employees to bring their own devices (BYOD) to work, or allowing them to choose from an approved set of corporate devices (CYOD) are now on the table. These more personalized approaches translate into increased employee satisfaction, which in turn allows for improved business metrics.
Because maintaining security controls is just as important as user satisfaction, analysts suggest taking the following into account when considering the digital workplace:
- Ensure you have a business case and clear strategic direction.
- Seek advice from firms that have made this shift.
- Involve employees in shaping their own experiences.
- Offer a catalog of options for employees to choose from.
- Personalize security protocols. From multifactor authentication to PKI cards.
- Make sure your solution choices offer the flexibility to keep up with new technologies and workplace advances.
There is no one-size-fits-all approach to moving to a truly digital workplace. The most successful organizations will find a way to accommodate individuals while maintaining enough control over the process to protect valuable corporate resources.
By giving employees the control to define how they’d like to work and device choices that comply with your policies, you’ll find returns on your investment through more satisfied, productive users. And you’ll gain the ability to achieve maximum value and use from your IT assets.
- Combining innovative solutions with established ones to transform strategic approaches to Business & Platform Solutions.
- Creating business benefits through intelligent Infrastructure & Data Management.
- Providing cloud-focused business strategy for core processes in Cloud & Enterprise Software.
- Enabling business differentiation by combining elements of Big Data & Security.