“Atos leads the iCargo consortium to promote smart transport systems”
Madrid, 13 February 2013
The new IT platform will enable the synchronisation of vehicle movements and intermodal logistics operations in order to reduce CO2 emissions
Atos, an international IT services company, leads the ‘Intelligent Cargo in Efficient and Sustainable Global Logistics Operations' (iCargo) consortium, the objective of which is the reduction of CO2 emissions thanks to the improved efficiency of intermodal loading systems and the promotion of smart decision assistance systems. The consortium is made up of 29 organisations with experience in the field of Logistics and Supply Chain Management as well as ICT, such as commercial operators, associations, research centres and public authorities.
The objective of the iCargo project is to develop an open architecture that allows both existing systems and new applications to collaborate more effectively by improving the loading systems in all modes of transport, enabling more efficient transport, not only from a logistical point of view, but also an economic and environmental standpoint. Improvements to smart decision-making systems enable better synchronisation in loading factors for intermodal transport, reducing the number of vehicles on the road and urban traffic and, consequently, CO2 emissions.
iCargo aims to promote and further the use of information technologies and sciences in the production of logistics services by developing a platform that will enable:
- The synchronisation of vehicle movements and intermodal logistics operations between the different players involved, thus reducing CO2 emissions
- The design of dynamic planning methods involving smart loading, vehicles and infrastructures which are capable of adapting to changing conditions
- The generation of an open goods management ecosystem by pooling services, resources and information from different stakeholders
Atos is not only leading the consortium of this ambitious project but is also actively participating in the design and implementation of the iCargo platform components, particularly in the aspects related to the cloud infrastructure, semantic web services and SaaS (Software as a Service) concept, and in the coordination of the implementation of pilot projects and in business model design.
Proving the concept
The iCargo results shall be validated through three use cases which will prove the validity of the iCargo ecosystem:
- Sea-City-Air-Rail door-to-door service: this pilot project focuses on improving the Sea-City-Air-Rail door-to-door service of customers between Northern Europe and Italy including those located in urban areas. The participating players are road hauliers, port operators and rail operators. The iCargo platform will enable dynamic real-time operations replanning throughout the transport chain taking commercial restrictions into account, with the aim of improving the environmental profile of the designated route.
- Green corridor between Sweden and continental Europe: this business case seeks to integrate what are known as “green coastal motorways” with inland co-modal transport options with the aim of boosting the efficiency of traffic load and management in logistics processes, to such an extent that it allows the substitution of loads in the event of delays, for example, thus enabling maximum use to be made of the vessel.
- Logistics Services Supplier Cooperation – Haulier: this pilot project shows how to improve the sustainability of the entire distribution chain by initiating joint planning and implementation solutions which involve the various stakeholders participating in the process.
In short, iCargo will result in new business opportunities for service providers, an easy way of managing logistics chains by configuring a more flexible and robust distribution chain, and it will also enable increased economic and environmental efficiency and consequently lead to a reduction in CO2 emissions.
iCargo will actively participate in two important events in the Transport and Logistics fields: Transport Logistic, that will take place in Munich 4-6 June, and will count with a workshop and a round table on iCargo; and in the 6th European Conference on ICT for Transport Logistics, ECITL 2013, that will take place in Zaragoza (Spain) 23-25 October 2013.
29 European organizations led by Atos make up the iCargo consortium, a project that is funded jointly by the European Commission within the 7th Framework Programme: Atos Spain S.A.; Bluegreen Strategy srl; CGI; Marlo AS; Siftelsen SINTEF; BMT Group; INLECOM; Vorarlberg University of Applied Sciences; Planung Transport Verkehr AG; Logit Systems; TNO; Instytut Logistyki i Magazynowania; Tecnalia Research and Innovation; CLECAT, European Association for forwarding, transport, logistic and Customs services; CLMS Ltd; Interporto Bologna Spa; POLIS - Promotion of Operational Links with Integrated Services aisbl; EuroPlatforms; Unilever Research and Development Vlaardingen BV; Association française du NET; Deutsche Post DHL; Stora Enso Logistics AB; Trafikverket; NV Maatschappij van de Brugse Zeevaartinrichtingen (Port of Zeebrugge Authority); Ramboll Finland Oy; Interporto Servizi Cargo SpA; G.T.S - General Transport Service; Fast Freight Marconi SpA; Intellitrans Sweden AB.
Atos is an international information technology services company with annual pro forma revenue of 8.5 billion euros in 2011 and 74,000 employees in 48 countries. Serving a global client base, it delivers hi-tech transactional services, consulting and technology services, systems integration and managed services. With its deep technology expertise and industry knowledge, it works with clients across the following market sectors: Manufacturing, Retail & Services; Public Sector, Health & Transport; Financial Services; Telecoms, Media & Technology; Energy & Utilities.
Atos is a specialist in business technology that powers progress and helps organisations to create their firm of the future. Atos is the Worldwide Information Technology Partner for the Olympic and Paralympic Games, and is quoted on the Paris Eurolist Market. Atos operates under the brands Atos, Atos Consulting & Technology Services, Atos Worldline and Atos Worldgrid.
For more information:
PR Spain & Portugal
Tel (+34) 91 214 8962