“International IT company Atos becomes Official Supporter of Glasgow 2014”
Glasgow, 15 March 2012
Atos to deliver IT systems essential to staging outstanding Games Deputy First Minister Nicola Sturgeon, Olympic and Commonwealth Games medallist Steve Cram MBE and athletes from the Scottish netball and hockey teams joined Glasgow 2014 at the city's Scotstoun Stadium to unveil Atos as an Official Supporter.
The company, which employs 1,500 people in Scotland, is Glasgow 2014's fourth Official Supporter and is a Worldwide IT Partner to the Olympic and Paralympic Games.
The Atos business technologists will be delivering critical applications and services essential to the successful staging of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games, including a range of Games Management Systems and Games Information Systems, which will leverage the Atos experience from over two decades of Olympic and Paralympic Games, including London 2012 and other major events worldwide.
The technology provided by Atos at Glasgow 2014 will enhance the experience of:
- Athletes and accredited Games participants: Atos will provide the accreditation systems that will be used by Glasgow 2014 to accredit up to 70,000 Games participants including athletes, officials, workforce, volunteers, media and sponsors. The technology will manage the registration process, including online registration and sports entries, along with access and entitlement assignment. The accreditation software will also support the extensive background security checking processes that will be in place for the Games.
- Volunteers: Glasgow 2014 will recruit up to 15,000 volunteers to make the Games run as smoothly as possible. Atos will be providing the volunteer systems to facilitate the recruitment and management of volunteers, including the Volunteer Portal that will be a key information link between Glasgow 2014 and the volunteers.
- Media and sports officials: Atos will provide a Games Information System that will instantly relay results, athlete information, competition schedules, medal tables and sports records to accredited media, sports officials and the Glasgow 2014 website.
Glasgow 2014 Chief Executive David Grevemberg said: “We are delighted that Atos has joined us as an Official Supporter, and proud to have secured our first Olympic and Paralympic Partner for Glasgow 2014.
“Atos continues to demonstrate a commitment to sport and para-sport, and their track record in providing world class systems for a number of multi-sport Games, including London 2012, demonstrates their passion and capability to help Glasgow 2014 deliver an outstanding athlete centred and sport focused games.”
Deputy First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said: “As well as bringing a major international sporting event to Scotland, hosting the Commonwealth Games is a tremendous opportunity to put Scotland on the road to a healthier and more successful future. This latest supporter deal, the fourth to be announced, is great news and will ensure the IT at Glasgow 2014 is amongst the best in the world.
“The confirmation that this is the first Olympic and Paralympic Partner to come on board as an Official Supporter of Glasgow 2014 is also a significant step forward for the Games, and its support, alongside that of the other sponsors, will help to ensure that we see a fantastic Games in Glasgow, delivered on time and on budget.”
Gavin Thomson, Senior Vice President, Atos – Scotland, said: “Atos is absolutely delighted to be an Official Supporter of the Glasgow 2014 Organising Committee providing Games Management Systems and Games Information Systems.
“As Worldwide IT Partner for the Olympic and Paralympic Games, Atos will be transferring knowledge and expertise gained from previous Games including London 2012 and other major events, to the benefit of Glasgow 2014.
“We are proud of what our business technologists deliver for all our clients in Scotland across a wide range of business sectors. We are passionate about delivering our world class solution from Scotland to the world stage.
“We share Glasgow's vision to create a lasting legacy for Scotland from the Games, making faster progress towards a healthier nation, developing healthy communities and a strong and flourishing economy.”
Patrick Adiba, CEO Iberia – Olympics and Major Events, from Atos, said: ”We are really proud to be an Official Supporter of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games and look forward to working with the Organising Committee to deliver a successful Games. As the global IT leader for major events, our business technologists will bring their expertise and experience to the Games to ensure they run smoothly.”
Michael Cavanagh, Chairman, Commonwealth Games Scotland said: “As one of the Commonwealth Games Associations participating in the Games, we cannot stress enough just how vital these services are to enable teams to function effectively. A quality accreditation system greatly assists the complex team entry process, whilst accurate, timely information and results help athletes plan their schedules in the final lead-in to competition and allows team management to track progress and promote their success as it happens. It is fantastic to see Atos with a world leading reputation in this area coming on board for Glasgow 2014.”
Richard Brown, Executive Director of Development and Regeneration Services at Glasgow City Council, said: “We are pleased that Glasgow 2014 has secured another official supporter of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games. To have attracted such a prestigious company reflects well on the expectations the business community has for the Games when they are hosted here. The support of the business community will be crucial to the delivery of an outstanding Games.”
Atos will deliver an end-to-end service incorporating:
- The Games Management System (GMS) and Games Information System (GIS) matched to the OC's vision and OC Services Requirements
- Atos' global games capability from Scotland
- A robust, flexible and scalable solution, tested and proven on many major events
- A secure, scalable data centre hosting and infrastructure platform
- A service supporting the operation of the technical solution
- A lasting legacy of skills and knowledge for delivering major events in Scotland.
- Games Management Systems
- Games Information Systems
- Physical hosting of the Supplier Software
- Package of support and services to assure delivery and operation of the Services
- Additional hosting capability in Scotland for other OC solutions
Games Management System (GMS)
In the context of the Games, the Games Management Systems will typically include the following types of solutions:
- Accreditation management, including electronic/online accreditation form system, accreditation management system, venue access control system and guest passes system;
- Sport entries management;
- Games Workforce management and information;
- Volunteer portal service;
- Volunteer scheduling system; and
- Uniform distribution management system.
Games Information Systems (GIS)
The Games Information Systems will typically include the following types of solutions:
- Central Results Service;
- GamesINFO Service;
- Official Results Website; and
- Results Data Feed.
Atos is an international information technology services company with annual 2011 proforma revenue of EUR 8.5 billion and 74,000 employees in 42 countries. Serving a global client base, it delivers hi-tech transactional services, consulting and technology services, systems integration and managed services. With its deep technology expertise and industry knowledge, it works with clients across the following market sectors: Manufacturing, Retail, Services; Public, Health & Transports; Financial Services; Telecoms, Media & Technology; Energy & Utilities.
Atos is focused on business technology that powers progress and helps organizations to create their firm of the future. It is the Worldwide Information Technology Partner for the Olympic and Paralympic Games and is quoted on the Paris Eurolist Market. Atos operates under the brands Atos, Atos Consulting & Technology Services, Atos Worldline and Atos Worldgrid.
About Atos – Scotland
In Scotland, Atos has offices across the country including Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness, Linwood and Livingston. Atos won the West Lothian Business Excellence Awards for Best Business 2009, 2010 and 2011.