“Paralympic Champion, Danny Crates, visits School to present new playground tables on behalf of Atos Origin and Vodafone”
17 March 2008
Danny Crates, Paralympic Champion and Gold Medalist at Athens 2004 Paralympic Games, visits The Castle School in Donnington, today to present new tables for the playground that are made entirely from old IT equipment such as keyboards, monitor casings and printer housings. The tables are donated by Vodafone and Atos Origin, an international IT services company and world-wide IT partner for the International Olympic and Paralympic Committees.
Tables are also being donated to three other schools in the area: Trinity School; Speenhamland School; and Shaw cum Donnington Primary School.
Each year Vodafone disposes of around 1400 desktops and laptops from its Headquarters in Newbury. Atos Origin, which manages some of the IT desktop services for Vodafone in Newbury, recently appointed Tier One, a company which recycles IT equipment to make a green plastic wood, to manage the disposal of this old IT equipment and so enhance Vodafone's existing environmental commitments. It is this plastic wood, which has been used to make these new playground tables.
“I am delighted to be here at The Castle School today on behalf of my sponsor, Atos Origin, and its client, Vodafone, to support this excellent initiative which ensures the sustainable disposal of old IT equipment,” said Danny Crates. “It is brilliant to see that what was once old computers is now brightly coloured tables that can be used and enjoyed by the children here.”
"We love to see our pupils enjoying outdoors now that spring is upon us, said Kerry Gray, Headteacher at Castle School. We are lucky to have substantial grounds at the school and are currently undertaking a huge project to improve the accessibility and equipment available to them. The new "green" seating will enable pupils to enjoy these facilities with discussion groups at breaktime; we are very pleased indeed."
“All four schools are close neighbours of the Vodafone HQ in Shaw cum Donnington,” said Alison Skuse De La Cruz, Supply Chain Management, Vodafone UK. “We are delighted to have combined with our other partners to meet the schools' needs for additional seating before summer comes and demonstrate the suitability of ‘green' products.”
Danny is World Champion, Paralympic Champion, European Champion and Paralympic World Cup Winner in the 800 m arm amputee class. Following an accident in 1994 whilst travelling and working in Australia, Danny lost his right arm. This did not deter him and he continued to play club rugby in the UK and also turned his attention to athletics. A natural speedster, he soon found himself competing against the best in the world. Danny is now looking forward to competing in the Beijing Paralympic Games.
About Atos Origin
Atos Origin is an international information technology services company. Its business is turning client vision into results through the application of consulting, systems integration and managed operations. The company's annual revenues are EUR 5.8 billion and it employs 50,000 people in 40 countries. Atos Origin is the Worldwide Information Technology Partner for the Olympic Games and has a client base of international blue-chip companies across all sectors. Atos Origin is quoted on the Paris Eurolist Market and trades as Atos Origin, Atos Euronext Market Solutions, Atos Worldline and Atos Consulting.
Vodafone is the world's leading international mobile communications group with operations in 25 countries across five continents and over 252 million proportionate customers at 31st December 2007, as well as 40 partner networks. At the end of December 2007, Vodafone UK had over 18.4 million customers.
For further information, please visit http://www.vodafone.com/
Tier 1 Asset Management Ltd Profile
Tier 1's core competency is to specialise in the secure and ethical disposal of end of lifecycle IT equipment. Handling some of the largest IT disposal projects in the UK, Tier 1 have the desire, expertise, and professionally accredited processes to provide total peace of mind around data security within an environmentally-focussed IT disposal service. With an emphasis on sustainable solutions that extend the life of redundant IT equipment as far as possible before looking for a recycling solution, we are proud to declare that 73% of all items handled by Tier 1 are re-used in their original state with the remaining 27% recycled.
About Castle School
The Castle school is a mixed day school for pupils with a wide range of special education needs. Our goal is to take our pupils through an education (from age 2 to 19 yrs) that prepares them "for life" hence our mission statement: learning to know, learning to do, learning to live together, learning to be.
For further information, contact:
Tel: +44 20 7830 4233
Community Relations Manager
Tel: 01635 664444