“Montpellier University Hospital Chooses Atos Origin to Implement Access Control to its Information System Applications”
Paris, 11 May 2005
The Montpellier University Hospital has retained Atos Origin to design its Single Sign-On (SSO) encrypted authentication solution to manage access to its information system. This centralized authentication management model will strengthen control over user identification, non-repudiation and data confidentiality. It will also streamline the architecture and administration of the hospital's information system and make it more reliable.
Eventually, the 7,000 internal and outside users of the hospital's system, such as health care professionals and administrative staff, will be able to easily and securely access more than 50 applications, at the rate of 15,000 authentications per day.
After first consolidating its directories into a single core directory and conducting a pilot trial of SSO access to a variety of applications, the Montpellier University Hospital wanted its new directory to serve as the keystone for its new requirements in the areas of security and identification management. To help drive this process forward, the hospital chose Atos Origin to install an access management solution for all its applications, including the UNIX and Windows systems and its client/server, intranet and extranet applications. The solution needed to have the following design features:
- A single infrastructure directory consolidating all the existing directories so users could be authenticated.
- A single password and signature to access any application.
- A single technology, compatible with various web application technologies.
- One signature per hospital card and health care professional card.
“By choosing Atos Origin to assist us in managing implementation of the SSO project, we were sure we had selected the right IT partner. The services delivered by the Atos Origin teams corresponded perfectly to our new requirements in terms of managing ID's and security” noted Oliver Tinland and Christian Capelle, SSO project managers at the Montpellier University Hospital.
Principles of the implemented SSO solution
Atos Origin is assisting the project's lead contractor in designing, configuring, developing, planning and controlling the roll out of the SSO solution for each of the hospital's applications. The selected SSO solution was designed with a series of key features in mind:
- Security: access to applications is controlled through simple or strong encrypted authentication based on health care professional cards or hospital cards. The SSO system also provides secure access to an application accessible from all the university hospitals in France via the dedicated Ville Hôpital network.
- Authentication persistence across hospital information system, web-based or client/server applications.
- Ease of deployment and maintenance: the only program residing on the client is the Dynamic Linked Library (DDL) to ensure persistent connection between the client and the server.
- Flexibility and open source for future-proof scalability, especially the possibility of external access via the Ville Hôpital network. The choice of open source components minimizes the adaptation process and the risks arising from integrating and migrating legacy assets while complying with technical specifications.
- High availability: two active, secure servers enable load balancing for high availability.
- Independence and inter-operability with authentication systems, particularly Oracle applications.
The platform now in place is based on a central authentication server associated with filter agents installed on the application servers. The single server facilitates administration and enhances security, while the centralized architecture enables name user and password simulation application by application. It also responds to the needs of both client/server and intranet/extranet applications.
About the Montpellier University Hospital
Today, the Montpellier University Hospital is positioned as a major health care center with seven establishments providing a full range of health care services. It ranks fifth among France's university hospitals. With 3,000 beds and a staff of 10,000, it is one of the largest companies in the Languedoc Roussillon region.
Its reliable, modern information system features:
- 4,500 workstations (75% single-user).
- More than 200 servers running UNIX, Novell or Windows.
- More than 200 applications, including 60 web-enabled.
The system, which is constantly being migrated to intranet technologies, operates 24/7 to serve the needs of more than 7,000 users.
About Atos Origin
Atos Origin is an international information technology services company. Its business is turning client vision into results through the application of consulting, systems integration and managed operations. The company's annual revenues are more than EUR 5 billion and it employs over 46,000 people in 40 countries. Atos Origin is the Worldwide Information Technology Partner for the Olympic Games and has a client base of international blue-chip companies across all sectors . Atos Origin is quoted on the Paris Eurolist Market and trades as Atos Origin, AtosEuronext, Atos Worldline and Atos Consulting.
Contact for Press:
Anne de Beaumont
Tel +33 (0)1 55 91 24 15