“Atos Origin Implements eProvisioning Solution for Alstom Marine”
Paris - September 11, 2003
A world leader in the construction of high value-added ships, Alstom Marine is comprised of Chantiers de l'Atlantique, Alstom Leroux Naval and Alstom Ateliers de Montoir. With 5,000 full-time employees and nearly 8,000 contractor staff, Alstom Marine wanted to automate management of people inflow/outflow and the allocation of software and hardware resources.
Employing a large number of contractors on major projects involves a great deal of work managing company employees and IT system users, with processes for arrivals and departures, information updates, identity data, and logical and physical access rights.
By deploying an eProvisioning solution based on a directory and meta directory architecture, Alstom Marine is able to:
- Provide access to employee data (phone numbers, positions, assignments, organization charts, etc) while maintaining control of who has access to what.
- Delegate responsibility for creating or updating data to line managers to ensure that information is more accurate and fresh.
- Secure internal and external access, as part of the project to open the IT system, by rationalizing management of application rights, improving responsiveness concerning staff arrivals and departures, and eliminating overlapping and obsolete accounts and passwords.
In addition to improved service benefits, the solution also enhances the company's business performance by:
- Reducing the time spent searching for information and correcting errors resulting from multiple entries, etc.
- Optimizing hardware use by automating allocation and disallocation of disk space, mailboxes, software licenses, workstations, equipment, etc.
The eProvisioning solution
Atos Origin supported Alstom Marine in conducting an opportunity study that raised awareness among "project owners" of identity management issues, demonstrated the feasibility of the eProvisioning model and calculated return on investment for the project. When the study was completed, Atos Origin launched the project using an iterative approach, since users more readily accepted operating changes if production was phased in.
The technological environment
Atos Origin deployed the full range of its integration skills to implement the various software components chosen for the project:
- Directory: Sun One Directory Server.
- Meta Directory: Critical Path Meta Directory Server.
- Man-machine interface/Lightweight Directory Access Protocol: Atos Origin Dir@Web Ed JAVA
- Systems: Sun Solaris and Windows 2000.
"The project's success resulted from the active involvement of Alstom Marine project team managers and close cooperation with Atos Origin teams beginning in the study phase," said Hervé Guérin, head of IT Systems at Alstom Marine. "The shared, results-oriented, iterative approach to implementation and Atos Origin's technological skills in integrating the component products ensured the project's successful completion."
About Alstom Marine
ALSTOM is a global leader in energy and transport infrastructure. The Company serves the energy market through its activities in the fields of power generation and power transmission and distribution, and the transport market through its activities in rail and marine. In fiscal year 2002/03, ALSTOM had annual sales in excess of 20 billion and employed around 100,000 people in over 70 countries worldwide.
ALSTOM, via its subsidiary Chantiers de l'Atlantique and ALSTOM Leroux Naval (subsidiary of Chantiers de l'Atlantique), is amongst the world leaders for the building of high-added value ships (cruiseships, naval vessels, high speed ferries, liquefied natural gas(LNG) tankers and all specialised, complex types of ships).
A propos d'Atos Origin
Atos Origin is an international information technology services provider. Its business is turning client vision into results through the application of consulting, systems integration and managed operations, including outsourcing and on-line services. In August 2002, Atos Origin acquired KPMG Consulting in the UK and The Netherlands, trading as Atos KPMG Consulting. The company generates annual revenues of EUR 3 billion and employs 28,000 staff in 30 countries. The Group's client list includes major companies such as ABN AMRO, Akzo-Nobel, Alstom, BNP Paribas, BP, Euronext, Fiat, ICI, ING, KPN, Lucent, Philips, Renault, Royal Bank of Scotland, Saudi Aramco, Shell, UBS Warburg, Unilever, Vivendi Universal, Vodafone and Wolters Kluwer.
Anne de Beaumont - Tel 33 (0)1 49 00 96 42 - email@example.com