“Smart Card Payments for Amounts Less than Eight Euros Atos Origin Technical Operator for Moneo E-Purse”
Paris, November 14, 2002
With the Moneo e-purse introduction in the greater Paris area, Billetique Monétique Services (BMS) confirms its choice of Atos Origin to lead Moneo's deployment throughout France, until project completion in 2003. A European leader in payment services and solutions, Atos Origin is committed to developing the pilot e-purse project into a powerful, reliable, automated payment system.
The challenge for Atos Origin is to build and operate by year-end 2003 a system capable of handling more than ten million payments a month, while providing uninterrupted service and a totally secure system. Moneo's introduction in Paris and the surrounding Ile-de-France region represents a significant step forward, with 60% of France's largest cities now e-purse enabled.
BMS has contracted with Atos Origin to run the system and guarantee that it will benefit from the expertise and skills of a proven operator, recognized by banks and experienced in industrial processing of data flows.
"The originality of the French e-purse and Atos Origin's ability to implement the project and guarantee uninterrupted service are the keys to success and to acceptance by users and other major players" said BMS Chief Executive Pierre Ferztand.
For Moneo, Atos Origin is involved in all stages of the process, notably:
- Remote retrieval of payments in sales outlets on Atos Origin servers and processing of those payments.
- Presentation of transactions for collection by Société Financière du PME Interbancaire (SFPMEI), the company that guarantees e-purse reloading and payments.
- Processing of requests for e-purse loading from terminals located in banks and stores equipped for fast reloading.
- Careful security monitoring throughout the transaction chain to prevent fraud.
The operating system is built on the Poseidon platform, designed and developed by Atos Origin in Germany and widely accepted by German banks.
As operator for other e-purse projects that have been deployed or are currently being installed, Atos Origin:
- Operated Carte Pass for ski resorts and the private e-purse for the 1998 FIFA Soccer World Cup.
- Developed and currently operates e-purse services in Germany, Luxembourg and Ireland.
- Formerly operated Modeus, an e-purse project launched by the Paris Transit Authority (RATP), the French National Railway (SNCF), La Poste, Société Générale and Centre National des Caisses d'Epargne. Modeus was merged with Moneo in 2000.
- Was selected by French municipal governments, which conducted some of the country's earliest e-purse projects, to implement solutions in such areas as parking payment, school meal programs, and local services.
In the 1970s, Atos Origin teams were involved in a number of pilot projects, including IPSO, the first interbank memory card payment experiment; portable healthcare files for France's Defense Ministry; portable student files for the Education Ministry; and contactless smart cards.
In the future, Atos Origin will develop new interactive services for large companies, banks, local governments and public service providers, which view the e-purse as an extraordinary tool for retaining subscribers and users.
About Atos Origin
Atos Origin is a leading international information technology services provider. Its business is turning client vision into results through the application of consulting, systems integration and managed operations, including outsourcing and on-line services. In August 2002, Atos Origin acquired KPMG Consulting in the UK and The Netherlands, which now trade as Atos KPMG Consulting. The company generates annual revenues of EUR 3.3 billion and employs 30,000 staff in 30 countries. The Group's client list includes major companies such as ABN-Amro, Akzo-Nobel, Alstom, BNP Paribas, British Petroleum, Euronext, Fiat, ICI, ING, KPN, Lucent, Philips, Renault, Royal Bank of Scotland, Saudi Aramco, Shell, UBS-Warburg, Unilever, Vivendi Universal, Vodafone and Wolters Kluwer.
+ 33 (1) 49 00 96 33
Anne de Beaumont
Tel: + 33 (0)1 49 00 96 42