Frequently asked questions
How do I enter?
Simply complete the entry form by the deadline and let us know your information and which question you will be answering.
You will then receive an email acknowledging your application with further questions to complete.
How do you recommend we start?
Why not start by asking yourself some key questions?
- Have you researched the company to find out how they have been impacted with COVID? What are their priorities? What challenges do they face?
- Have you researched the industry they fall into? What are their competitors doing? How do they differentiate themselves?
- What are the implications of our solution? Think PESTEL: Political, Economical, Social, Technological, Environmental and Legal
Will I be able to speak to a mentor?
Yes. As part of the challenge, you will have access to a mentor for 4 hours in total. Your mentor will be able to offer advise on how to research your ideas and on how to present them. You will receive your mentor’s contact details after the official registration date (2 November), but it is up to you to make contact and to arrange a time to speak to them.
If you have any issues, please contact us at AtosSTEMUK-I@atos.net.
Is there a cost to enter?
No, the challenge is free to enter.
What is a CREST award?
CREST is the British Science Association’s scheme for STEM project work that inspires young people to think and behave like scientists and engineers. CREST helps young people become independent and reflective learners through enquiry-based project work. A CREST award can even contribute to your ACAS points. You can find out more information here: https://www.crestawards.org/
Do you recommend any tools to help us collaborate?
- WhatsApp – an easy tool to keep one another up to date with team actions
- Facebook Group – why not start a Facebook group to share information?
- Trello – a great tool for creating idea boards and assigning actions
- Google Tools – with Google Docs you can all edit the documents you are working on at the same time
How can we present our ideas?
Be creative. There are loads of different ways to communicate your ideas. You could try a short video, an interactive presentation (Prezi), an informative podcast, we want to see how creative you can be.
How will I be kept up to date with information?
The individual you assign as lead will receive regular updates from AtosSTEMUK-I@atos.net with information about the competition, deadlines and reminders of top tips.
If your group is not receiving any information, please contact the email address to make sure you are added to the mailing list.
Do I need to share any information with my teacher to qualify for the CREST award?
Yes, please let your teacher know that you are entering the challenge. They may be able to offer advice and help sign off any evidence forms as part of the CREST award applications.
Can we form a team with students from different schools?
Yes. Why not look at our recommended collaboration tools to make the most of working together effectively online?
Please note: You will need to form your team prior to entering. If you are not part of a team, you will not be able to enter. Teams must be made up of 2 to 5 individuals.