Atos showcases innovative future-proof smart metering expertise at Metering Europe 2011
Atos Worldgrid, an international entity of Atos and world leader in the field of intelligent energy, showcases its innovative smart metering expertise including the ERDF Linky solution to an international audience. Atos will be present with ERDF-international specialists at Metering Europe 2011, the industry leading conference for smart utility professionals, that takes place in Amsterdam from 4 - 6 October at the RAI where it showcases its expertise on booth E56.
Following the recommendation of the CRE ( the French energy regulator), the French government has officially given the go ahead to a nationwide rollout of electricity smart metering in France, which will see a total of 35 million meters installed starting in 2013. 300,000 Linky meters have been under a successful pilot run by EDF’s distribution subsidiary, ERDF, from March 2010 to March 2011 in Lyon and the region of Tours. Atos has designed, developed and delivered the Linky system to ERDF and is proud to be at the heart of this innovative high-tech project.
A world’s first
For the first time in the world, an intelligent computer system allows full interoperability and interchangeability of different metering equipment from different manufacturers. Atos Worldgrid has delivered the Linky Information System with an Automated Meter Management system split between a central Information System and a unique Decentralized Universal Head-End software in the smart data concentrators. The Linky system, due to this distributed intelligence on the distribution network, is designed as “Smart Grid Ready”. Smart Data Concentrators will become Smart Grid Nodes, allowing Advanced Distribution Automation, by combining the strengths of Smart Metering and of Distribution Automation.
Key benefits of the solution – sustainability, increased customer service, cost reduction
- Interoperability, Real-time IT supervision, future-proof, fully downloadable software and firmware
- ROI improvement based on interoperability and interchangeability, remote operations and additional future Smart Grid functions
- Customer satisfaction due to increased service level (exact bills – no longer estimates, 80% of the meter management operations are done remotely – no need any longer of a physical presence of the customer, improved competition – faster supplier switch, automatic outage detection, even at night – faster localization and service restoration), better visibility on energy consumption and sustainable effects
Jerome de Parscau, CEO Atos Worldgrid said: "Atos has a strategy of innovation and sustainable development with its customers and implements solutions today that are ready for the “Firm of The Future”. I am very proud to be working with ERDF on this world’s first smart metering project and would like to congratulate ERDF with the success of the pilot run. Atos Worldgrid has an international presence and we aim to offer our smart metering expertise to other customers in the utility sector. With the successful deployment in France, ERDF and Atos Worldgrid demonstrate its know-how and sets a reference for Europe and the rest of the world. "
The Linky project
Atos designed the Linky system on behalf of ERDF in a short time frame with partners Landis + Gyr, Itron and Iskrameco. The distributed information system, hubs, and meters were delivered to ERDF in early 2010. With the installation of smart meters, Linky, a key component of the ERDF Smart Grid, works in compliance with the obligations set by the French regulator. Linky, the most advanced smart meter system in the world, is the showcase of advanced technology by ERDF and Atos Worldgrid. The architecture of Linky was designed to be "Smart Grid Ready", which allows:
- Managers of distribution networks to move progressively to the intelligent management of low-voltage networks, allowing for example to accommodate distributed and intermittent renewables (wind, solar) as well as electric vehicles
- Retailers and energy service companies to provide consumers with exact and frequent bills, real time data to control and manage their home energy, to allow then to become “consumactors”. French retailers have already committed, based on Linky, to provide customers with a pack of services like access to 2 years past consumption, alert if a threshold is reached, etc.
Atos Worldgrid presents expertise together with ERDF-international at Metering Europe 2011
Atos will be present with ERDF-international specialists at Metering Europe 2011, the industry leading meeting place for 4200 smart utility professionals to discuss the latest developments, solutions and benchmarks in the utility industry that takes place in Amsterdam from 4 - 6 October at the RAI. Various demonstrations are showcased on booth E56.
Atos is an international information technology services company with annual revenues of EUR 8.7 billion and 78,500 employees in 42 countries. Serving a global client base, it delivers hi-tech transactional services, consulting and technology services, systems integration and managed services. Atos is focused on business technology that powers progress and helps organizations to create their firm of the future. It is the Worldwide Information Technology Partner for the Olympic Games and is quoted on the Paris Eurolist Market. Atos operates under the brands Atos, Atos Consulting &Technology Services, Atos Worldline and Atos Worldgrid.
About Atos Worldgrid
Atos Worldgrid is an Atos business unit delivering sophisticated integration projects and real time Smart Energy solutions to Energy & Utilities companies across the power, water, oil & gas value chains. With 1,500 engineers and over 30 years experience, Atos Worldgrid operates in more than 15 countries. It has in particular equipped 70 nuclear power units with its Supervision and Command & Control software in France, UK, Russia and China and delivered the world’s largest smart metering system.
For more information:
Jose de Vries
+31 6 30 27 26 11
Global Public Relations Office